All about Joanne
Joanne Brennan is from Penrith in Sydney. She has 2 children aged 13 and 20 and three grandchildren who are 6, 4 and 18 months.
Joanne has been a casual member of the Healthy Mummy for the last 5 years, and has used the Smoothies as an added bonus too.
In the last few years, there have been some significant changes in Joanne’s life that have affected her weight and overall health.
She shares “With retiring from a 42 year dance career, closing my Dance School and leaving a 20 year marriage, I lost myself.
I started smoking and eating wrong. So the weight started to creep on and my body was not happy.”
Making the Change
Two years ago, Joanne decided to become a Healthy Mummy Platinum member to help her get out of the rut she felt she was in. Not long after, Sydney went into its first Covid Lockdown.
“That lasted 6 weeks. This was not a good time for me. Towards the end of that lockdown I weighed in at 76 kg, that was the last time I weighed myself. I continued to gain more weight as my clothes were way too tight. That’s when I said enough!!”
Joanne focused on her health and with the help of her Platinum membership was able to lose 9 kilos.
This year, Joanne turned 50, has a new job and made the decision to banish the smokes for good. Three months on, and even though Sydney has gone back into lockdown, Joanne has stuck to her commitment.
“I haven’t put on any weight as I have focused on my fitness journey with Healthy Mummy. I currently weigh 67.8kg.
I’m so much more comfortable in my clothes and some I have donated as they were too big.”
Joanne’s Tips for Giving up smoking and staying healthy
- I used the patches for about 8 weeks, and I made my focus on fitness.
- As I had gone from full-time job to part-time job I didn’t want to spend half my reduced income on smokes. So that was good motivation.
- You really need to be mentally prepared. Smoking isn’t just a physical thing it’s very much a mental habit too.
- Be kind to your body when you quit. Even with aids like patches you still go through withdrawal. This is different for everyone. For me, it was terrible headaches, constipation, and at times dizziness.
“I’m now 13 weeks smoke free and haven’t put on any weight. There are moments I think about having a smoke but I push it from my mind very quickly.”
Joanne’s Day on a plate
Breakfast: A Healthy Mummy Smoothie for breakfast
Lunch: A salad wrap or sandwich
Dinner: Healthy Mummy style dinner.
“I’m not one for snacks but do love a wine or 2 at night.”
Joanne still incorporates the Healthy Mummy Smoothies into her daily routine.
“My favourite Smoothie at the moment is the Premium Banana Sundae. I swear by the Metabolism support tablets and just love the Immune T tea.”
“My Favorite Healthy Mummy exercises are the Step workouts. I wish they were longer and the meditation and well being.”
Living a Healthy Lifestyle
“As I am menopausal I feel that The Healthy Mummy lifestyle is helping cope with this changing, often confusing, frustrating time of life. Eating healthy, counting calories, exercising is not only toning my body but also makes me feel how I did when I was dancing.”
Joannes Top tips
“Find what works for you. We are all different, what works for me won’t work for others. That’s the beauty of The Healthy Mummy ‘. It’s a lifestyle change, not a diet so you cant adapt it to what you need and want. Also, take 1 day at a time.”
Great advice and thank you for sharing your story with us!
Join Joanne on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge
Want to shift your weight but feel like you have NO TIME in your day to exercise and eat healthily?
That’s where the Healthy Mummy’s 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge can help.
What do you get? You get access to:
- 28 days of at home exercise routines (no gym needed) – with video instruction
- Customisable and breastfeeding friendly meal plans
- Time-efficient exercises for busy mums – under 30 mins
- Challenge combines Pilates exercises with interval and circuit training (HIIT)
- Suitable for basic to advanced fitness levels.
- Home to thousands of EASY-TO-MAKE recipes.