Ready in less than 30 minutes, this Instant Pot Asparagus Soup is super easy to make as part of a quick weeknight dinner. Made with fresh asparagus, garlic, onion, lemon and cream (or yogurt), this soup calls for only six ingredients!Spring is officially here and what better way to celebrate than with this creamy soup.
Asparagus is a seasonal spring vegetable, which means it’s super fresh, tasty, less expensive, and full of nutrients this time of year (especially if you can find it locally grown at your nearest farmer’s market!)
This soup is super easy to make as it only calls for six ingredients!
Plus all you have to do is throw everything into the Instant Pot, set it, let it pressure cook, then blend, and season!
It’s perfect for lunch or dinner alongside a chunk of crusty bread or a grilled cheese sandwich!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Notes on Ingredients
- butter: for flavor and to help onions sauté, can substitute with olive oil or ghee
- onion: use a yellow onion for the best flavor, but white will work as well!
- asparagus: fresh asparagus will lend the best flavor, but frozen could work as well
- vegetable stock: for flavor, can substitute for chicken stock or mushroom broth
- heavy cream: for creaminess and flavor, can substitute with Greek yogurt
- lemon juice: fresh lemon juice is best, but can use bottled
- Salt and pepper: not pictured above but essential for flavor!
Equipment You’ll Need (affiliate links – if you make a purchase I receive a small commission)
How to Make Instant Pot Asparagus Soup
- Sauté butter, onion and garlic until softened and fragrant. Then add asparagus and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth (having enough liquid is essential for pressure cooking).
- Pressure cook. Secure lid onto Instant Pot and pressure cook for five minutes. Quick release pressure.
- Transfer soup into a high speed blender (or use an immersion blender) and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in lemon juice and heavy cream (or Greek yogurt).
- Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!
- If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can make this recipe in the slow cooker! Just add all ingredients (except heavy cream and lemon juice) to slow cooker and set to low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. Once asparagus is soft, transfer to a blender (or use an immersion blender), add heavy cream and lemon juice and blend. You can get the full recipe for slow cooker asparagus soup here.
- If you can’t get fresh asparagus, frozen or canned work as well!
- If using Greek yogurt, be sure to use room temperature yogurt (let sit out for at least 1 hour but not more than 2 hours) so it doesn’t curdle. I like using plain, full fat Greek yogurt in this recipe but you can use your preferred Greek yogurt.
What if I don’t like asparagus?
Unfortunately this is an asparagus soup, but you could sub for green peas, broccoli, bok choy, or zucchini.
Is this soup vegan?
As long as you use olive oil instead of butter and omit the heavy cream (or yogurt), this asparagus soup is vegan! To add some creaminess to the soup’s texture, you can use canned coconut milk, soaked cashews, or potato for thickening.
Is this soup healthy?
This creamy Instant Pot asparagus soup is packed with nutrition. Asparagus is an excellent source of vitamin K and B vitamins and is a good source of vitamin C. The soup is also naturally vegetarian and gluten-free.
Why is my asparagus soup stringy?
You may have used too thick / woody pieces of asparagus. Make sure to trim the ends of your asparagus before using. Bend the thick end of the asparagus spear until it snaps – discard, compost, or freeze the woody stems (if you freeze, you can use to make a vegetable stock later on).
Storage and Preparation
This asparagus soup will stay fresh for 3-4 days in the refrigerator when stored in an air-tight container. You can reheat the soup in your microwave or over low heat on the stove. Heat until just warmed through, and stir well to avoid hot spots.
This creamy Instant Pot soup can also be frozen! Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator or in the microwave.
Recipes That Pair Well
For more asparagus inspiration, check out my other recipes below!
If you like this recipe, please be sure to comment and give it a 5 star rating below. If you make it, share it on Instagram and tag me @karalydonrd and I’ll re-share it with my followers! If you want to save this recipe for later, be sure to pin it on Pinterest!
Ready in less than 30 minutes, this Instant Pot Asparagus Soup is super easy to make as part of a quick weeknight dinner. Made with fresh asparagus, garlic, onion, lemon and cream (or yogurt), this soup calls for only six ingredients!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, diced (about 2 1/2 to 3 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 lb asparagus, ends trimmed and chopped into 3-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (or can sub Greek yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt (or more, to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Set Instant Pot to Saute. Add butter and let heat until butter is melted, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add onion and saute for 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add asparagus and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth. Secure lid onto Instant Pot and set to pressure cook for 5 minutes.
- Quick release pressure
- Carefully transfer soup to a high speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Or, you can use an immersion blender right in the Instant Pot (be careful of any splattering – the soup will be hot).
- Stir or blend in lemon juice and and heavy cream (or yogurt, if using). Season with salt and pepper, adding more or less, to taste.
- This asparagus soup will stay fresh for 3-4 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer when stored in an air-tight container.
- Make sure to trim the woody ends of the asparagus spears to avoid stringy soup!
- If using Greek yogurt, make sure to let it come to room temperature (by sitting out for 1-2 hours) before you fold / blend it in so that it doesn’t curdle.
To make in the slow cooker:
- Add all ingredients (except heavy cream and lemon juice) to slow cooker and set to low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Once asparagus is soft, transfer to a blender (or use an immersion blender), add heavy cream and lemon juice and blend.
- You can get the full recipe for slow cooker asparagus soup here.
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot asparagus soup, asparagus soup instant pot, instant pot cream of asparagus soup